The course is an introduction to switched-mode power converters. It provides a basic knowledge of circuitry for the control and conversion of electrical power with high efficiency.
About the Course
The course is an introduction to switched-mode power converters. It provides a basic knowledge of circuitry for the control and conversion of electrical power with high efficiency. These converters can change and regulate the voltage, current, or power; dc-dc converters, ac-dc rectifiers, dc-ac inverters, and ac-ac cycloconverters are in common use. Applications include electronic power supplies, aerospace and vehicular power systems, and renewable energy systems.
- Introduction to power electronics
I. Converters in Equilibrium
- Principles of steady-state converter analysis
- Steady-state equivalent circuit modeling, losses, and efficiency
- Semiconductor power switch realization
- The discontinuous conduction mode
- Converter circuits and transformer isolation
II. Converter Dynamics and Control
- AC equivalent circuit modeling
- Converter transfer functions
- Controller design
Knowledge of circuits and electronics at the level of an undergraduate major in electrical engineering is assumed.
The lectures are designed to be self-contained. The following textbook was developed for use in this class; it is recommended but not required:
The class will consist of lecture videos that are 5 to 25 minutes in length. These will contain integrated quiz questions. In addition, the course will require standalone homework each week that is machine graded.
- Will I get a Statement of Accomplishment after completing this class?Yes. Students who successfully complete the class will receive a Statement of Accomplishment signed by the instructor.
- What resources will I need for this class?For this course, all you need is an Internet connection, and the time to watch, study, and learn the field of power electronics. You may also choose to obtain a copy of the optional textbook.
- What is the coolest thing I’ll learn if I take this class?You will learn how control substantial electrical power with very high efficiency using time-varying switching converters.